Friday, September 17, 2010

UAPCS Board Candidate – Anna Treviño

Dear UAPCS Board;

My name is Anna Trevino. I am currently working as the lead counselor and assistant principal at the Utah County Academy of Sciences (UCAS), an Early College High School located on Utah Valley University campus. I am also involved in studies of Educational Leadership and Foundations at Brigham Young University where I have just completed my Doctoral degree this summer.

I would like the opportunity to be more actively involved in state level boards in order to learn, share and encourage others as they work to be successful in public charter schools. I would appreciate your consideration of me to serve as a member of the board. I believe I have a unique perspective and set of skills that I could offer the board as I have been actively involved in all grades and areas of education as a teacher, a counselor and as an administrator for the past 21 years.

My career in education began as a Kindergarten teacher in the Weber County School District where I taught for 10 years. After receiving my master’s degree in educational counseling I worked as an elementary school counselor in Weber County, and a junior high school counselor in Seminole County, Florida and in Alpine School District. I was able to return to BYU for a second master’s degree in education administration and for the past 6 years I have been a high school counselor and administrator at UCAS.

As a founding member of UCAS, I have firsthand experience and knowledge of how to start a charter school in the State or Utah. I understand the charter school application process, the importance of well written and implemented policies and procedures, and the challenge of selecting and working with local boards of education.

I have a great love for underserved and diverse populations in our state of Utah for the past 3 years I have assisted in implementing at program on the UVU campus called the Latino Educators of Tomorrow. This program involves Latino high school students in the Utah County area who are interested in a career in education. Students have been able to participate in a summer programs where they earn concurrent enrollment credit for university courses in education as they mentor younger Spanish speaking students.

Once again, I appreciate your consideration of me to become a member of the UAPCS board.

Thank you,

Anna Trevino, Ph.D.

No comments:

Post a Comment